Monday, November 21, 2011

Cornbread Coffee Cake

First, let's establish that by "coffee cake," I mean cake to be eaten with coffee (although I never drink coffee), NOT cake that is coffee flavored. Moving along, I got this idea in my head because I LOVE sweet cornbread and wanted to make it more like a cake. I have no experience building recipes, so I tried to find something that sounded like what I wanted. Mostly, I stole this recipe and Katiefied it.

You will need:
Dry ingredients:
1 cup cake flour
2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Wet ingredients:
1 egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp vanilla
1/3 cup crema Mexicana
2/3 cup plain yogurt

Preheat oven to 400. Beat egg, oil, butter, vanilla until blended. Stir in yogurt and crema until you reach an even, pudding-like texture.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND MAKING THIS IN A LOAF PAN! The recipe is very "wet" and if never cooks in a loaf pan, or the edges will be brown, but the inside will still be wet. Use a muffin tin or an 8" round pan. Bake for 15-20 min.

It comes out to taste like cake, but somehow different. It's a rich, creamy texture and a vibrant yellow color. If you love cornbread, MAEK DIS AND EETZ IT! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment